Pros and Cons of Stylish Home Trends
All avid decorating fans love to flip through the newest design magazines and consult collaborative idea websites, like Pinterest & Houzz, to absorb as many ideas as possible. We all see those stunning homes that make for beautiful photos, but are they as practical as we would hope? Here is a list of stylish home trends that we adore and the pros and cons of living with them. Do they work for you?
Color-blocked open shelving is clean, understated, and down-right gorgeous. But how practical is it to display your everyday dishes?
|Image: Pinterest||Image: House of Turquoise|| Image: Centsational Girl
- Creates visual interest
- Easy access to dishware
- Open and airy design concept
- Not as easily managed as behind the door storage
- Constant consideration for where things belong
- Creates a higher level of maintenance for cleaning
The Living Room:
Animal hide rugs are a great choice for an elegant look, but how practical are they for a high traffic area such as the living room?
|Image: Fleaing Foxes||Image: Iced Coffee&Peonies||Image: Pinterest|
- A stylish and luxurious look
- Versatile, as they can be paired with any style
- Creates a warm and cozy atmosphere
- Adds an asymmetrical element with the skewed shape
- Typically there is no backing which makes for a trip/slip hazard
- Mixed reviews on cleaning instructions. Some websites have a long list of care considerations, where others claim their product is low maintenance. Ensure the care instructions will be feasible to maintain prior to making a purchase.
Lucite has been around since the early 1930’s, and hit an all-time high in furniture design in the 1980’s. It is a resin based material, which today, is available in many forms and colors. Despite its popularity, does this material work for your coffee table for day-to-day life?
|Image: DecorPad||Image: Vinteriors||
Image: Matters of Style
- Limitless design for all types of spaces, and furniture arrangements, because of the “floating” visual affect
- Introduces a new material into the space other than wood stained and painted tables
- Blends into the space allowing for emphasis on other pieces in the room
- Lucite is an easy to scratch material, and because of the clear finish, those scratches become very apparent
- Collects and shows dust quickly
- They do not typically offer any storage
Open-concept shelving in the bathroom has a similar list of considerations as the kitchen. However, in the bathroom, a whole different array of products are on display. Does this look make an organized statement or create a high maintenance space?
|Image: Casa Decorada||Image: Watermelon Fizz||Image: Houzz|
- Offers visual interest with baskets, crates, jars and other interesting containers
- Creates a spa-like atmosphere
- Easy access to towels, washcloths, and linens
- Delicate balance between what should/should not be on display
- Folding & organization quickly becomes an integral design necessity to maintain a spotless appearance
Since spring is upon us, now is a great time to begin brainstorming ways to freshen up your home! These trends are all unique and easy ways to liven up and re-organize the most frequently used spaces in the home. Looking at all sides of the pretty and practical elements of these trends helps to identify if they are a good fit for you and your family.
Brought to you by Cottage Home – specializing in cottage furniture & farmhouse tables